Muffin Tin Mini Lasagnas
Fact: everything is cuter when made in a muffin tin. This is especially true of these muffin tin mini lasagnas made with all the usual ingredients, minus the noodles. But, never fear, the carbs are taken care of with the replacement of wonton wrappers – making a delightfully crunchy miniature version of everyone’s favourite layered pasta dish.
I posted a picture of these mini lasagnas on Instagram and the comments started pouring in requesting the recipe. Since I had changed quite a few things in the original recipe, I decided it would be easiest to post it here.
First, the original recipe calls for 12 oz of ground turkey. Since most packages here in Canada come in 1 lb increments, I had to adjust the rest of the ingredients. With just those 4 extra ounces (and maybe being a bit stingier in the filling amount for each cup), I was able to get double the yield from the original recipe.
Also, the hubby didn’t even notice that it was ground turkey, which tells me that you could use any ground meat you have on hand – chicken, turkey, beef, sausage. Honestly, I think that crumbled tofu would work amazingly as well (and could easily be snuck into my family’s meals!)
The whole family loved these. And I mean, LOVED. I got a thumbs up from the 3-year-old (I know! It’s been so long since I posted that she’s not even a baby anymore!), and the 6-year-old said these were “the best ever!”
These are quite filling, so don’t be worried about size! We ate these for a main dish, but they would be adorable appetizers too!
Recipe adapted from andiemitchell.com.
Yield: 24 servings
- olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey, chicken, pork, beef or sausage (for a vegetarian version, substitute with crumbled tofu - see additional notes below)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped mushrooms
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¼ tsp freshly ground salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-680mL (22 oz) can tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes or pasta sauce (if using pasta sauce, reduce amount of spices to your liking)
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1-454g (~2 cups) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella (or other cheese of your choice)
- 48 small square wonton wrappers
- dried or fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Drizzle olive oil in a large skillet and heat to medium. Add the ground turkey, onions, mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and cook, crumbling the turkey with a wooden spoon as you go, until the turkey is browned, about 8 minutes. Next, add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Finally, add the tomato sauce, basil and oregano. Bring the pan to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Lightly grease 2 standard-size muffin tins and place 1 wonton wrapper in each cup. Using a regular teaspoon, spoon ½ a teaspoon of ricotta into the bottom of each wonton wrapper. Lightly press down with your fingers or the back of the spoon. Next, using a regular teaspoon, spoon 1 teaspoonful of the meat sauce into each cup and spread out. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of the grated mozzarella. Gently press another wonton wrapper on top of the mozzarella layer. Repeat the layering process, finishing with mozzarella cheese. Top with parsley.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the wonton edges are crispy and the cheese has melted, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from pan and serve warm.
* If you are using tofu, sauté your onions and mushrooms first until soft, then add the garlic until fragrant, and finally add your tofu at the same time as you add the tomato sauce - just enough to heat it through.