Grilled Chicken with Fresh Tomato Salsa
Summer, summer, summer. For our family, summer means grilling, lots of fresh veggies…and cocktails on the patio of course! We’re having a heatwave this week in the Canadian prairies, so we’ve been spending every day grilling outside.
This was one that we made this weekend, and my oh my was it delicious. The original recipe called for chicken breasts, but I only had one on hand, and 3 mouths to feed, so that wasn’t going to work so well. I ended up making this with chicken thighs, but hubby and I agreed it would be even more delicious with something light like grilled fish or tofu.
The salsa is a medley of fresh and sun-dried tomatoes, capers, fresh thyme, garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper. It’s so easy to make, and should be made ahead of time – both to save time and to help the flavors meld. If you don’t have time to make it in advance, no sweat – it will still be delicious!
Recipe lightly adapted from Fine Cooking magazine.
- 16 oz. cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
- ¼ cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 tsp drained capers, and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tsp lightly chopped fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- In a small bowl, combine the cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, capers, garlic, red wine vinegar, 1 tsp of the thyme, 3 tbsp of the olive oil, ¼ tsp salt and a few grinds of pepper. Set aside, stirring occasionally to let the flavors combine.
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- Put the chicken in a shallow pan. Rub the chicken all over with salt (about ½ tsp. for each piece of chicken), a few grinds of pepper, and the remaining 1 tsp thyme. Drizzle remaining olive oil over each side of each piece of chicken and rub all over.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Place chicken on hot grill and cook for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear.
- Transfer the chicken to serving plates and top each with a generous serving of tomato salsa.