Asian Lettuce Wraps
When my husband and I were on our honeymoon, we spent a couple of days in Calgary. After visiting Joey Tomato’s and ordering their lettuce wraps a couple of times, I completely fell in love. My quest has been to re-create the ones we had there. These are really messy, which I don’ t mind, but hubby ends up using tortillas to wrap them instead. That’s kinda more Mexican-y, but it makes him happy and not complaining, so I let it go. The sacrifices you make…
This recipe is pretty versatile, so don’t sweat it if you don’t have the exact ingredients – try a combination of peppers, don’t worry about using shiitake mushrooms if they’re not available (even regular old button mushrooms are delicious), the chili paste can be substituted for Sriracha or any other hot sauce, etc.
We like to keep the noodles and peanuts separate from the stir fry so that they don’t get soggy if you have leftovers, but hey, whatever floats your boat. ;)
P.S. You all know I dislike cilantro, so of course my recipe doesn’t call for it, but all you weirdo cilantro lovers might like to add a couple tablespoons of the stuff chopped fresh.
P.P.S. Yes, you are weird.
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 250 g water chestnuts, sliced matchstick-style
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced matchstick-style
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 5 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp chili paste (such as Sambal Oelek)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- lettuce for wrapping
- steam fried crispy Asian noodles
- Heat a large skillet to med-high heat. Add peanuts and stir occasionally until roasty. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in same skillet over med heat. Add garlic and sauté until softened. Add chicken, stir fry until no longer pink.
- Add onion, pepper, chestnuts and mushrooms. Sauté for 1 min.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the brown sugar in the soy sauce. Add to the vegetables in the pan. Continue to stir fry for about 2 mins.
- Add the hoisin sauce and chili paste.
- Stir in green onions and remove from heat.
- To assemble: Place noodles on the lettuce, then the stir fried meat and veggies, and top with peanuts.