Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
I’m breaking a seasonal rule. I get that it’s spring and nobody wants to talk about soup anymore. You want to talk about patio cocktails and barbecuing and spring vegetables.
But. This soup.
I’m one of those annoying people who, when I’ve found a new love or addiction, I must share it with everyone, always.
Soup is that new love for me. I’ve already explained why over here. All of a sudden, I’m making soup left, right and center. I’m thinking about it all the time. It might be a problem.
So, I’m sorry to ruin your spring fever. (But not sorry.)
If you are a lemon lover, this soup will blow your mind. A classic Greek dish, you wouldn’t believe that there’s no milk or dairy in here because it’s so creamy. But that’s all thanks to the egg yolks. A word of caution though: you don’t want scrambled eggs in your soup. I’ve explained how to avoid that in the instructions.
This recipe calls for uncooked white rice, but if you would prefer to use brown rice or orzo pasta, go ahead and substitute one of those and adjust cooking time.
I thought this soup was amazing the first day I made it. Then I had it for leftovers and it blew my mind. The flavours had just melded so much more (as is often the case with soup), and I devoured all the rest of it over the course of the next couple of days.
I served this with fresh breadsticks, but it really doesn’t even need any accompaniment. In our house, bread is a staple because of the picky toddler. I refuse to make him a separate meal, so I always try to have something included in supper that he will eat.
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup white wine
- 8 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
- ⅓ cup uncooked white rice (adjust cooking time if using brown)
- 2 tsp oregano
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup diced, cooked chicken or turkey
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery and saute until slightly softened. Add white wine and deglaze the pan.
- Add chicken broth, lemon juice and rice. Add oregano and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon coloured. Gradually ladle some of the hot soup into the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return the egg mixture to the soup pot along with chicken and heat through.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.