Roasted Garlic & Clam Pizza
I know. Weird right? Well let me tell you…this pizza is divine. Especially if you’re a garlic
addict lover, like me.
Inspiration from 500 pizzas & flatbreads.
1 recipe for homemade pizza dough
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 heads garlic
1 1/2 (5 oz/142 g) cans whole baby clams
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp grated Romano cheese
1. Drain and rinse clams and put them in a bowl of cold water to soak for 10 minutes. This removes the taste of tin and the fishy-ness (that’s a word right?).
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. Slice the tops off of the heads of garlic, drizzle with olive oil. Place in a baking pan and roast for 50 to 60 minutes in preheated oven. Let cool, squeeze the garlic into a bowl. Drizzle with extra olive oil, and mash with a fork until smooth.
3. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place pizza stone in oven and heat for at least 30 minutes.
4. Roll or stretch out your pizza dough, dust with flour. Fold in half, and in half again.
5. Reduce oven to 425°F. Remove pizza stone from oven. Brush stone with olive oil or dust with cornmeal. Lay pizza dough out onto stone. Brush edges with remaining olive oil. Bake for 7 minutes.
6. Remove pizza dough from oven. Spread roasted garlic over crust. Top with clams. Sprinkle with oregano and Romano cheese. Bake in oven another 8-10 minutes.
Enjoy knowing that you have just eaten enough garlic to ward off germs for a month.